Sunday 5 February 2012

Canon MX420 - how to transfer scanned documents from the memcard

Although this printer does not have AirPrint support it had a feature to "scan to pdf" without using a pc (just to USB or Memory card )

So I insterted a fast memory card into the printer with adequite space and it works perfect.

My next step is to create a cron job on my NAS to periodically sync all files on the printer memory card to a folder on the NAS.

Following is the technical discovery / how I did it.

First was to discover if the memory card is exposed to the network & then the file sharing type (assuming it will be a windows share) ;

It was indeed on:

\\PRINTER_IP\canon_memory\CANON_SC\DOCUMENT\0001
Was two test PDF's I scanned.

most people will only need this to copy the files to a PC, however as stated I want it automated to my NAS.

I created a temporary folder on my NAS and created a sync job on the QNAP NAS that monitor the memory card and once a file change is detected it copies the files to the temp folder; from there I rename and or sort it into the correct directories.

Drive mapped from QNap to the printer with:

mount.cifs //PRINTER_IP/canon_memory/CANON_SC/DOCUMENT/0001 /share/somewhere/Printer


No comments:

Post a Comment